Salute to The University of Mandoza

I once wrote; “Bonginkosi “Zola” Dlamini is an important institution in my world...”  No kidding, this is how significant an impact the guys (and Mshoza girl) from eZola, Soweto have made on me through their music. 

One of the most respected musical legends from eZola is of course Mduduzi Edmund Tshabalala. Many of us know him by his stage name - Mandoza. 

The 38 year old Kwaito giant died a week ago. He features in this column today not only because he is an institution to many including myself but an IMPORTANT institution that even future generations need to learn about. So dear parents…

Let me remind you of the simple definition of institution, according to Google; 1) An organization founded for a religious, educational, professional or social purpose 2) An established law or practice.
If we were in Literature class and I was a Literature teacher we would be unpacking each of these words but we’re not in class and I’m not a literature teacher like the poetic Mandoza. 

In fact, at the University of Mandoza this icon is easily that Professor who other Professors want to consult and collaborate with.


I have never met or touched Mandoza, not even when I had the chance to some four years ago in Soweto at the launch of PRO’s Continua album. 

I held back from greeting him when our paths crossed face-to-face by the loo because that could have just ruined my fantasy of the enigma that I believe he is. 

Imagine if he was rude or overly friendly to my greeting? Neither response would have cut it…instead I would have allowed a few seconds to ruin my over ten year old fantasy which began one hot afternoon thanks to “Play My Choice” hosted by Bones Connexion – Swaziland’s radio DJ legend. I will never forget the day.

Get up. Get it.

When I heard Mandoza’s “Zoy’thola Kanjani?” on the stereo I was in deep rural Swaziland and when I say deep rural it means this was before we had electricity at kaLanga and now we buy units with original Randelas baba! 

Anyway, I was waiting for Bones’ shaky voice to come on and tell us what this great song is and who this boys leven men was when I realized I was mistaken, the song was not done – the resumption of the song after that magical pause had my parents almost  drive me to Two Sticks fast…I was going bonkers… 

“What a time to be alive”…I thought…witnessing such delicious music!! And by WAITING for Bones I mean I was moving between houses, busy with something or the other, because in the rural areas you can’t just be NOT busy; and busy listening to the radio when it’s not even Story time does not qualify as busy.



This was December 1999. I was a 20 year old a final year student at UNISWA and this song made me think “I do not ever want to feel ‘stuck’ here in the rurals because I failed school. The world is waiting for me to see it”. 

Mandoza and his crew on that song made me realize the “truth” about dreaming your own dreams. And that’s how my journey with this handsome young man started.

And so as I dreamed, my journey, at age 23, took me to the day I saw Mandoza for the very first time with my naked eye.  This was in Cape Town where he was to perform alongside U.S. acts Puff Daddy (now called Diddy…I think…can’t keep up), Usher, Alicia Keys and South Africa’s own Lebo Mathosa and Zola, at the MTV Staying Alive AIDS Concert. 

I don’t recall his AIDS Ambassador talk because the enigma side of him was more memorable during that press conference. Of all the musicians named above, Mandoza was the only one who was walking around with about five bodyguards dressed in black suits and sunglasses – strong nice things present as the force of a tornado. 

Most people said such heavy security was unnecessary. But when Mandoza gave later gave us Nkalathatha (a hit that dominated club scenes throughout Africa, Europe and North America), Phunyuka Bem’phethe, Ngalabesi, Tornado, Hodoba, Sgelekeqe, and lately Sgantsontontso…I got it…I was like “that’s the one – the one I saw in Cape Town with my own naked eyes; a Boss of Bosses.”

From a single story

Undoubtedly there are many other stories that people of my generation can tell about Mandoza’s influence. His content was relatable and instilled a sense of pride about one’s strength, abilities and background whether one considered themselves lomakhaya or a fully-fledged urban cat from kasi. 

He also spoke to the need for one to acknowledge their weaknesses and take responsibility for their ‘mistakes’. Mandoza himself is that cat that rid himself of a life of crime – as a teenager he spent some time in prison for car theft – choosing instead to deliver important musical lyrics over perfectly engineered sounds.

Mandoza, P. Diddy, Alicia Keys and Zola at the MTV Staying Alive Concert in Cape Town; 2003
Photo: Gallo
So it’s fitting to conclude with the words of another African literary giant; Nigerian author Chimamanda Adichie Ngozi. 

When she speaks of the danger of a single story she warns that ‘we risk a very critical and very cultural misunderstanding when we forget that everyone’s lives and identities are composed of many overlapping stories. 

The single story creates stereotypes, and the problem with stereotypes is not that they are untrue, but that they are incomplete.”

As a social and cultural phenomenon, Mandoza helped us see through so many stereotypes; about criminals, ghetto, marriage etc and definitely taught us a great deal about the power of self-affirmation. May he rest in peace, love and power knowing that he has done his work of schooling us through the University of Mandoza.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Religiously Erasing Our Existence

White Swazis Are Always Self-serving

Justice for Reeva; none for me and you